Saturday, 13 December 2008

Saturday - just after lunch time

It's just before two and I should be heading for the supermarket but the weather is so driech outside just now, I really am struggling to move myself.

I will go, I will go...
I need to get vitamin C tablets for Ian and I've decided to get mint sauce to have with the lamb that I've bought for tomorrow's dinner. This will be the test of whether my tastebuds have changed enough to let me like lamb!

Ian looked at me last night while he was eating his second meal of Lamb Stew and said, "This is really very good! I think I can taste it tonight."

I'll post the recipe later in case anyone wants to try it...but if you do, other than the cook, no-one will know what they are eating.

The taste of the lamb will not be obliterated if all I do to it is put it under the grill, will it?
I'll let you know how I get on.

That's the cup of coffee finished, I should get going.

Ian took his first little walk outside this morning. He and I walked into the village in the rain to do a few chores.

The queue in the post office was so long, it was threaded through the aisles of the supermarket, past the drinking chocolate, the birthday cards and biscuits all the way down to the 'special offers' near the entrance.

Jan Seivewright (who used to live next door to us years ago...remember Ben?) is the postmistress now and she and the girl who gave me the advice on my passport were doing a stalwart job processing all their customers at full speed ahead. So it didn't take too long to get the stamps for our Christmas cards.

The last day for second class stamps is Thursday 18th December, so you have a few days left if you aren't ready to post your cards yet.

I bumped into Irene Page in the post office, she was further down the queue and I noticed her when I was leaving.

"Oh I much prefer this weather to the snow," she said, "all that slush on the roads and pavements!"
I reminded her of how beautiful everything had looked covered in it's fresh coat of snow but she only laughed. I should send her one of my photos to remind her.

Everything has a price. Are a few days of cold feet and wet socks inside your boots too big a price to pay for the joy the snow gave us?

You see how my tune has changed. Last year you would have heard a different story from me when I had to drive to Aberdeen through the snow to get to and from work!

Happy days!

No comments: