Thursday, 18 December 2008

Bedtime on Thursday

The outing to Banchory Lodge on Wednesday evening was a gastronomical delight!

I had seared scallops to begin and then smoked haddock cooked in cream sitting on a bed of clapshot with a thick slice of ham on top - it was delicious.

The lounge was empty apart from us but it is such a cosy room when the fire is lit, you didn't need others there to create the atmosphere.

Today I was at the Cults Hotel for lunch with the retired teachers. I was driving so my turkey with all the trimmings was accompanied by a glass of ginger beer and lime!

Another lovely meal!

Guilia said she will drive next time and I can have the glass of wine!

We've arranged to meet again at the end of January by which time, I have discovered, Kay will be a grandmother for the first time!

I see Guilia regularly because she goes to St Columba's Church but it was so good to see Kay and Sheila again.

I thought I would take a photo of the restaurant because it's been all done up since I was last in it but you'd think, from my photo, we were eating in the dark - we weren't!

This is Kay!

Kay was my head teacher for years. She retired about three years.



Here's a photo of Guilia.
Guilia was my deputy head. She was the first to retire and she now works up at the Crathes Castle.

Guilia is Peterhead Italian first Generation Scot.

I have been full of admiration for Guilia ever since she told me that she had learned to drive in Rome of all places, while she was working over there! The Romans are lunatic drivers!

She told me that her driving instructor used to take her round the old city wall during her lessons - this seemingly was where the 'ladies of the night' congregated.

Anyway, while she would be focussing on her driving, he was hanging out of the open window, waving his arms about and shouting, "Go Home! Go back home to your husbands!"




Sheila, you know already. She is learning support and now works three days a week at Ashley Road. She left St Joseph's about the same time as Kay retired. She is due to retire in the summer.



Kay took this photo of Sheila, Guilia and I as we were leaving. We've arranged to meet up again at the end of January.

No comments: