Thursday, 23 October 2008

Still Thursday

O.k. so this is going on a bit - well I did miss out two days.

On the way home from Mary's we dropped in to see Ian's dad. That was the first time I had visited the 'home' and I was very relieved. I have been a visitor in a few 'homes'. Admittedly it's been a few years since I was but I was really pleasantly surprised.

They have obviously improved greatly in the last few years - none of the usual markers that I associate with them.

We wondered why there were so many cars. The reason became evident when you went inside and were confronted by all the party balloons.

The action was obviously all upstairs as the groundfloor was deserted apart from Fred who told the the lady looking after him that he didn't know where his wife was, she wasn't back from work yet and an annonymous old gentleman who simply eyed us up and down and walked on.

We found Granda in his favourite chair in the little alcove outside his room.

"Here's your hat, what's your hurry?" - probably sums up Granda's feelings about our visit.

"No," he wasn't going to the party.

When we walked him up to the party, "No," he wasn't staying at the party.

And "Now I'm just going to slip away and you are going out by that door," when we sat at the table in the common room.

He laughed a couple of times with us and waited patiently till we finished our juice.

Fred was still waiting for his wife to come home when we left and, "No," he wasn't going to the party either.

There were some nice cakes for eating on the table upstairs at the party but I didn't manage to get close enough!

All I would say is that granda seems content. His own little world isn't big enough to hold other folk in, for long.

No comments: