Friday, 24 October 2008

Friday 24th October

I am now part of Marks and Spencers eclub and will receive their newsletter soon! This wasn't something I actually set out to do but is a by-product of having sent flowers, from the M&S sight, to Dave and Doris. I can hardly wait :)

All I will say about sending flowers through the internet is - don't bother unless you know the postcode! What a cahfuffle - trying to get a postcode for Denside of Durris! In the end, I phoned the helpline and it, I was informed, charges 50p a minute. I sweated blood thinking about hanging on for hours with the music playing and the 50ps totting up but actually they were very quick!

Denside of Durris is the same postcode as Durris, they told me - AB31 6BL - just in case you ever need it.




I found this old photo when I was looking through my photo album. It's Granda in happier times. I think Ian was about 15 then.

I can remember having to wear a swimming cap like the one Dawn has on. They were instruments of torture! What really annoyed me about them was that men did not have to wear them. It didn't matter how long your hair was - mine was always short when I was young - it was a gender thing. No cap meant you were barred from going into the pool.

I think it began to change after men started to grow their hair long in the sixties. Were they being asked to wear caps? Or was the reason given for wearing caps - long hairs clogg up the filters - blown out of the water. Don't know.

It was in the sixties that the rule obliging women to wear hats in church started to slide too.

The mantilla filled the gap between hat and bare head. You used to keep your mantilla in your bag and pop it on when you went into the church. Most folk wore black but there were a few white ones too.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, a mantilla was a triangle of cloth...well lace actually.


It's 8.50am and I've had my fix - this morning it was 'Silent Witness' so I'm off to start my day. Will I start with the ironing or the hoovering? Choices, choices!!

No comments: