Monday, 24 November 2008

Starting to get light

Lucy, I never realised I had such an artistic and talented child! Your reindeers were phenominal! Did you think up that idea all by yourself?

Eight o'clock on Tuesday morning and I've already sent a long newsy email to a friend in Aberdeen. I taught beside Sheila for years. She was the learning support teacher in St. Joseph's. Now she teaches part time in Ashley Road School but she'll be sixty in January and she can hardly wait!

Sheila's from Elgin originally but came to Aberdeen to work in her early twenties and has never gone back. Don't think she has any family left over there now.

I got caught up in other things and didn't tell you about my trip to Inverurie last Thursday for a birthday celebration lunch with Carole and Luca, and Liz.

As you are all now aware Carole was not well last week and on Thursday she was still a poor, pathetic wee thing in her jammies who needed to sleep so Liz and I took Luca to the Garden Centre for lunch.

A trip worth taking. I would recommend it. True, it's self-service (something Granny Lottie hated - she was of her time!) and I agree it's not always the easiest way of getting lunch, especially if you have a potential 'run amock' escapee with you however it was worth it for the banquet that greeted your eyes on the display counter.

We were very good and just had soup, but what soup! It was gorgeous - parsnip and sweet potato - I went home and immediately attempted to imitate it. Delicious soup, served with huge chunks of bread - white, wholemeal or sun dried tomato.

There was a choice of soups, three main courses - a beef dish, a chicken dish and a vegetarian. The chicken was curry and it looked and smelled yummy. I was tempted.

Now the main courses were tempting but the desserts ( double s , Ian - are you proud of me?) they looked heavenly. My eye was drawn to the pecan meringues - they were gigantic and gooey and I'm salivating just thinking about them.

There was a complete counter diplay of different desserts. Paradise for the sweet toothed!

Having Luca does keep you moving. He reminds me, at the moment, of Ian.
"OK, we're finished eating/drinking. Why are we still sitting here? It's time to get on and do something else."

That was fine. We took a wee walk round the garden centre - Luca was enthralled by the Christmas decorations especially the arches covered in blue lights and you'll never guess what they had...
"Horses!"
Yes!
Little blue fluffy pull along toy horses!
You'd never credit it would you...but there they were, horses.
It made the day!

I overstayed my welcome as usual, spending a really enjoyable afternoon with Liz and I met my first South African, Thomas! Liz's husband.

My photos are a bit of a disaster. I tried to do it casually - you know like the newspaper reporters do - just clicking away.
I think there must be a knack to it that I haven't quite mastered yet.

Sorry Liz, the photos are appalling.



The photos are blurry and the second one does not do Liz justice. In real life she is a much better looking woman.

And I swithered whether to put this photo on the blog or not but, in the end I decided to put it on so that you, Lucy, have at least an idea what Liz looks like.
Sorry Liz!

No comments: