Monday, 16 February 2009

Ross' wake up call has just blasted through the house

...it's so loud, I can hear it on the top floor of our three storey house when he is on the ground floor!

It's almost half past eight.

It went off at eight oclock too. I heard it while sitting up in bed having my coffee.

Will he get to work on time?!!

The gasman is due to come this morning so finger's crossed. The boiler conked out three times yesterday.

He can come any time between eight and twelve.


Saturday turned out quite well, Ian sent me flowers for Valentine's Day :) and we went to the cinema in the afternoon to see 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

What can I say about the film?
By the end, I was exhausted and traumatised.
I felt battered and bruised.
The film is like a roller coaster ride.
It opens with extreme violence and hardly lets up throughout the whole film.
What makes it so harrowing is the fact that the film is about children.

And yet, the impact of the colours and the music were very upbeat.
The comedy scenes were endearing - one in particular involving a bollywood actor's autograph!

I sat on the edge of my seat the whole time and left the cinema with the adrenalin pumping through my veins.

The film does, as the literature says, have a 'feel-good factor' but it comes at a cost.
Word of warning, I struggled to sleep on Saturday night because of images from the film popping into my head! Not good.

I listened to an interview last week with the guy, a bollywood actor, who played the compere on the show, in the film, and he said that the big cities in India have huge slums and a great deal of poverty but that the film was just that and some of the more horrific scenes portrayed were pure fiction or grossly exaggerated.


At coffee with the girls on Sunday morning after mass, I discovered that Johanne had also been to see it but she had been underwhelmed!

She did admit that she had missed the beginning of the film and I think it is early on in the film that you bond with the characters. So possibly had she seen the early scenes she would have felt differently.

I thought it was a very powerful piece of cinema.

Oops, gasman is here, hurrah!

No comments: