Tuesday, 3 March 2009

A depressing Tuesday morning...

I've decided to give the drive to Tomintoul a miss today.

I've looked at the snow forecast and it talks about considerable falls today and tomorrow, so I'll phone Fred (the young man at the end of the phone) and tell him not to expect me before Thursday at the earliest.

Most unsettling!
I want to go now and get it done with, but I think that would be foolhardy.

Radio Scotland has a representative of 'Plain Stupid' on their 'phone in' this morning. Seemingly some of their members cut a hole in the perimeter fence at Aberdeen airport and staged a demonstration on one of the runways.

Lots of strong and differing opinions on energy conservation coming through.

Changing the subject completely, Ross and I made it to Kingussie yesterday in time for lunch.

We thought at first it was closed, then we found a wee cafe with condensation running down the windows and loads of people inside but we couldn't get in because the only empty table had a reserved sign on it!

Do you think we missed out on dining at Kingussie's high spot?

Eventually we ended up back at the hotel next to the carpark where we had left the car.
'The Duke of Gordon'
A huge extravaganza in grey and pink granite on the outskirts of the town.


This is the hotel, but the picture is taken from the back so it doesn't look quite like this from the road.

When we eventually found a way in, we found ourselves in a small bar with tables set for lunch.
Quite acceptable...we both had ciabatta rolls with chips and salad (...and no, I didn't eat the chips - Ross ate them!!).

I had blackened chicken on my roll and Ross had bacon and mozzarella on his.

Nice coffee.

We were very pleased our choice of venue was close to the carpark we had used because apart from being really cold, it was lashing rain when we came out.

No comments: