Very impressive, don't you think - as Tourist Information Centres go - I am thinking just now of Banchory's wee poky hole!
But the reason I included it was to get you to look past it - to the mountains in the background. (Sorry about the quality of the photo - I'm no expert - I haven't yet worked out why some of my photos come out really well and others, well... don't)
That is my memory of Salt Lake City.
Reminded me a bit of the road north past Stirling... very flat but with the mountains rising steeply all around in the distance.
I think the light is different in the two places, too.
Utah is very bright - white light.
Scotland's light is more yellow. We are talking of course about when the sun shines - that was assumed - come on - we all know it rains a lot!
It was really beautiful...
very colourful, full of flowers and fountains and very grand architecture!
Anyway, we reckoned Walt Disney had been here before he built Disney World in Florida because there are definitely similarities!
We ate lunch at 'Squatters Brewery'.
Nice lunch and good beer.
Most people sit inside in the air conditioning but Ian says we have to make the most of the heat because it's in limited supply at home.
It was fine - we sat under the misters (and my hair went fuzzy).
Now these photos you are coming up to were taken in the State Capital building (we did the tour).
Make them bigger and look closely.
In the photo immediately below, look at the picture straight ahead in the mural.
What do you see?
Uhuh. People with farming tools, fields and seagulls.
It's the story of the seagulls!!
Remember... they saved the settlers from starvation by eating the swarms of locust that would have eaten their crops.
Exactly! Seagulls.
I rest my case - the story in my primary 4 reading book was true!
:) She, however, went home happy, I think, knowing that a story from her past was known by a wee wuman from a country thousands of miles away!
A good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment