Monday, 5 October 2009

Monday 5th

D'you know that 1949, just like this year, had an Indian summer?
How do I know?

It was Aunt Mary's 60th birthday on Saturday and in the course of our wee, birthday, phonecall chat - she told me that Grannie Lottie had told her!

October 3rd, the year Mary was born, was hot and sunny!

Mary said, "Mum told me the sun kept right on shining till the end of October and then one morning when she threw back the bedroom curtains she discovered it was raining. A big sadness welled up inside her as she watched the rain run down the panes of glass and she began to cry!"

Poor Grannie Lottie - I think she had a wee touch of the 'baby blues'!

This Photo of Grannie Lottie and Granda Bill was taken the year before the window episode.

... I don't think our Indian Summer is going to last as long. It's only the beginning of October and the other day, I felt the change here ... a definite nip in the air!

... and today, I threw back the bedroom curtains and ... no it wasn't raining!! There was frost on the tops of the cars and Ian (caught unprepared) was busy using a CD case to scrape his windscreen!


The apples are still hanging onto their little tree in the garden.


They've developed wee rosy cheeks, though, since I took this photo last week!!
D'you think this mornings frost gave them a little nip?
Should I bring them in?
I tasted one the other day and although it wasn't as sweet as I would have liked, it was edible... which makes a change from previous years - the apples off my tree have always tasted like dry cabbages!

While I was looking for a photo of Mum to go with Mary's trip down Memory Lane, I came across this photo of Luca taken straight after his laser treatment. You wouldn't believe it if you saw him now!
By the way, that's not crusted spots that you can see on his top lip, it's apple puree!

No comments: