We ate one at teatime last night and I've frozen the other one for another day :)
If I can work out where, I'm going to plant some raspberry canes and maybe some more rhubarb and don't forget, we have an apple tree too which has several apples on it! Not bad eh?
But my slug and snail populations took liberties while I was away on holiday . . . how is this for cheek?
The bare stems you can see in the photo should be a beautiful lilly!
When I came back from holiday, I looked at the stems - there was another skeleton in the other cavity wall exactly the same. But I had no idea what on earth I had planted! It took me almost a week to remember and my memory only came back because I had gone out for a walk the other day and came across some lillies in a garden up on Burnett Terrace.
It all flooded back! I had planted them in the earth to save them from possible dehydration which was a possibility since Ross was in charge of the watering while I was away. Well, that didn't work, did it!
Slugs and snails - Grrrr - they're making it very difficult for me not to hate them!!
According to my wee book '50 ways to kill a Slug', slugs love porridge oats.
Here's what the book says. . .
1. Scatter oat bran around your plant and wait.
2. Oat bran is a favourite with slugs, but once eaten it expands inside them and their end is nigh - they have been known to literally explode.
They can forget the tossing onto the embankment or even death by beer . . . this is war!!
No comments:
Post a Comment