Saturday, 11 December 2010

Saturday morning


It's just after eight in the morning and it's starting to get light outside showing us a very different scene from the one we've been seeing for the last couple of weeks!

No more winter wonderland.

Since yesterday, there's been a thaw. All the beautiful icicles have disappeared drip by drip and every so often there's been a loud rumble as sliding snow made its way off somebody's roof!

Johanne and Gill have lost guttering because snow on the roof has brought it down and Amy at the end of our street has discovered a leak!

I need to go and check the car at the front. I tried a wee experiment yesterday. I left Ross' old Mercedes heap alone but I punctured the snow all over my car using the broom handle. I thought it would be interesting to see which snow thawed faster.

Years ago, when we first came up here to live, there was an old woman living in the house in the grounds of the church. Miss Pirie. Our paths crossed every so often when she would be out in the garden.

Anyway, I came across her one day in the winter when it had been snowy and icy but the teperature had risen a wee bit and she was poking the ice with end of her walking stick and she told me it would help melt the ice faster.

I reckon there was method in her madness so I thought why not have a go and see if it actually worked. Hence my little experiment!

I'll let you know what I find out!

So, what have I been up to this week?

Not a lot. The snow prevented me walking and swimming this last couple of weeks. So it's been a very sedentary time.

Ross and I went over to Inverurie on Tuesday and brought wee Luca back here but instead of taking him home at night, we just kept him here and dropped him back at nursery on Wednesday morning.

I think he is beginning to notice differences in coins. Here he is studying his collection!



I've been using my camera a lot since the snow arrived so here's some more. These ones were taken on the journey back from Inverurie on Tuesday.






Look how dark it is. These were taken just after three oclock in the afternoon!

"Did I do anything on Thursday and yesterday?" I've just asked Ian. We are sitting together in the back room. I can hear the sound of voices on the TV accompanied by the clicking sound of fingers tapping away on keyboards.

"Don't ask me!" said Ian.

Reasonable answer, I suppose seeing as he was at work.

Not much is the answer. Bit of food shopping, some cooking - I made shepherds pie for tea last night and I've cooked stew which we'll have with doughballs tonight.

Our diet has changed with the weather - lots of soup and meat to keep us warm.

Apart from shopping and cooking, I've done laundry, ironing and I think that's about it - all exciting and interesting stuff!!

Today is going to be better :)



No comments: