Not a lot happening, I'm afraid.
I've sent some more family tree information down to Mary this morning.
I had to change from Julie's email to Brian's because the schools in the central belt are now on holiday so Mary isn't going to be over at Julie's quite so much.
Ian had Brian's email address so that was fine.
I've been investigating Granda Banaghan's side of the family. He was my mum's dad!
... and here he is , replendant in his kilt. All ready for the First World War.He got shot in the arm during the war, according to my mum and the arm didn't really work all that well after that.
Anyway...
Very little coming out about his dad's side.
His dad was Joseph Banaghan, he was 24 in 1893 when he got married to Charlotte Evans nee Sutton - widow.
Nationality: Irish, he stoked furnaces on steam ships to make a living.
Ireland isn't easy to track since they didn't have the census which's been my main source of information.
The other side has been a bit easier. His mum!
That family came from the Wirral in Cheshire which is just across the Mersey from Liverpool and they moved to Liverpool early in the nineteenth century.
Daniel and Sushannah Owens with their daughter Sarah!
I found them in the 1841 census living in Greenland Street - no kidding - that's what it was called and it's still there! It's near the docks.
Daniel and Sushannah were in their 20s and Sarah was 5.
Little Sarah Owen is my great great Granny!
All that talk Uncle Frankie did about his mum coming from money isn't ringing true at the moment.
Uncle Frankie was my grandad's youngest brother and he used to tell this story about how he went down to liverpool with his mum when he was a wee boy and how he remembered going into this huge house down there with stairs inside it!
Well, the big house certainly didn't belong to his mum's family.
Daniel Owens was a labourer who was promoted to a carter.
In 1861, Daniel and Sushannah had our little Sarah now Mrs Sutton (husband at sea) and her two little boys living with them + the three children they still had at home!
Ten years later Sarah Sutton is nowhere to be found but Daniel and Sushannah Owens are still keeping the home fires burning!
Now they are looking after their daughter Anne (now Mrs Dowey - widow), her baby daughter Sarah, George their youngest child and three out of four of Sarah's children and our wee Charlotte ( my great granny) aged 3 is the youngest.
So where is mum?
Where is dad?
Where is Job?
- by the way he was the baby boy of Sarah's in the 1861 census?
D'you know what I think?
I think mum is dead. How about she died having Charlotte and Frederick Sutton, her husband, has taken the eleven year old Job on his first ship's voyage.
He obviously didn't get on too well because he turns up again in 1881 as a plasterer! And Charlotte is now living with him and his wife!
I remember my mother telling me that her grandfather took all his sons on board ship for a voyage when they were young to see if a life at sea would suit them but they all hated it.
Thought!: I must ask Mary if she still has the photo of Granda Banaghan on South Georgia.
That would be interesting to see again.
No comments:
Post a Comment