Thursday, 21 May 2009

Playing detective!

This is part of the reason I've been so busy this week, I found a website
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

What a mine of information!

It has all the births, deaths and marriages from 1855 and every census from their conception up until 1901.

So far I've spent £12 on credits to access information!!
... but I have found out that Granny Lottie's mum's mum's dad was an Irish lad!

His name was John McMahon.
He was born in 1839/40
And he was a coal miner!

There's a lot more which I will drip feed you.
Suffice to say, I haven't found any Paisley buddies in my past yet although John and his wife Eliza (she was from Old Monkland in North Lanarkshire - mining country) were living in Paisley in 1901 according to the census.

Interestingly, the census records their daughter Jane as living with them but her children (including my Renfrew Granny aged 7) are recorded as visitors.

Any theories?
Too late to ask my granny what was going on.
I'll start digging again as soon as I feel I can squander some more money.
It's very addictive!

This old photo was taken around 1914 (I'm making that assumption because the boy in the back row is wearing a soldier's uniform).
The older woman on the right is Jane McMahon, my great grandmother and the girl standing at her right shoulder is Granny Lottie's mum, my Renfrew granny!

No comments: