Friday, 1 October 2010

Just home from the hospital

What a day. . . heavy rain and high winds!
The roads are starting to flood in places.

But we made it and I even took the chance and reversed Ian's car up the drive so's he was near the door. Neither of us were dressed for the weather and with his great big bandages round his knees, sprinting to the door was never going to be an option!

He's sitting downstairs with his legs up just now, having a cup of tea and chancing his teeth on the last of Ross's ginger biscuits.

How did he get on?
Very well!

We were in the hospital by seven and he was off down to surgery just after eight, having happily told the nurse he'd had nothing to eat since his dinner last night and only a drink of water this morning!
Crumbs, I thought. He shouldn't have had anything at all. I worried. . .

But it was OK. The nurse asked the doctor and the doctor told her it would be alright and she came back and told us it wouldn't be a problem.

So adorned with thick black felt tipped arrows on his shins, pointing up to his knees and a very fetching identity bracelet round his left ankle, he was whisked away.

My was he grey when he came back.

"Put the golf on," he said when the porters left the room.
"No," I replied,"go back to sleep."
"I can't sleep," he countered and closed his eyes.
Out cold.

Every fifteen minutes, the nurse appeared to take his blood pressure.
"I can't sleep," he would say after she left and promptly fall asleep again.

He still looks grey but the physio who came to explain his exercise regime and walk him along the corridor etc, was very impressed by his mobility so soon after the operation!

"My goodness, you must be very fit!" she exclaimed.
It's the golf, you know :)

No photos I'm afraid. Yes, I did take my camera but the battery was flat.
But watch out for the photo of the fetching leg bracelet and the black felt tip arrow, though. I took it with Ian's phone!

No comments: