Monday, 7 December 2009

Monday 7th December

Here we are again!
I seem to have huge gaps between entries just now and I don't understand why... I told Ian that it was because I had nothing to say, but on reflection that isn't true.

My current theory is that I only think of writing when I'm reading my emails and there have been a lot of distractions in that department at the moment.

Ancestry, for example, has been sending me emails alerting me to things they have found for me.
The most recent was this morning when they found Daniel Owens in the poor house in 1891.
Susannah, his wife, must have died somewhere between 1881 and 1891 because he was listed as a widower.
What a shame - ending your days in the poor house.

I must let Mary know because she is still convinced we come from money on that side of the family.
It all stems from old Uncle Frankie Banaghan (my grandfather's wee brother)...
He always told the story of going on a trip down to Liverpool with his mother as a wee boy to visit the family and how he remenbers going into this huge house with a great winding staircase!
Oh yes?

Here's the 1891 census for Daniel! No sign of money here!


Great Granny Charlotte Banaghan was brought up by her Granda and Granny Owens.

Interestingly, I can't find Great Granny Charlotte Banaghan in 1891.
She disappears in 1881 ... at that point she was living with her big brother Job Sutton (you know, the lad who ended up in jail Census 1901 - another piece of the jugsaw, courtesy of Ancesrtry) ...




and resurfaces (getting married) in 1893 ...


During the missing years she had married a lad called Evans and had had a little daughter Charlotte mark 2!
The family said her first husband was a sailor just like her father and both died at sea... but we all know they tell lies, don't we!!

No comments: