Ian and I were joining the Lucy, Scott and the boys in the truck for drive from Reno to Lake Tahoe.
It's not a long journey - just a few hours. But we took the opportunity to visit the historical town of Virginia City, which seems to be about half way between Reno and Lake Tahoe.
Virginia City sells itself as a bit of a living museum. It still has the "old cowboy frontier town" look about it but brought to life by the cowboys, and the old frontier men with bird's nest beards wandering about the Main Street.
It sits on top of thousands of tunnels which were mined for silver and was seemingly at one point in it's past, the richest city in America - then the silver ran out and the town died.
We spent a few, happy hours wondering around. We took in the "Gunfight" from the spectator's benches, which happens every hour or so, wandered around the old style shops, ate some lunch surrounded by bric a brac and souvenirs of the Old Wild West and visited the museum where we learned all about mining - old style, and heard stories about the characters who lived in Virginia City in the eighteen hundreds.
Ian thought it would be a good idea to stop cars parking in the Main Street and I think he could have a point and I agree. It was hard to get photos of the buildings and their sidewalks which is a shame!
Anyway, I love Lake Tahoe Heavenly Village where we are staying and Lake Takoe itself is just beautiful. The weather is just right for me - high seventies!
I went out for a walk yesterday morning about sevenish - just a little nip in the air! Lovely. I walked out of California and into Nevada!! Truthfully. The state line is just along the road :-)
What have we done since we arrived? Apart from eating and drinking? I've done rather a lot of that and my trousers are getting a bit tight!!





Note the entertainment provided to keep you happy while you wait for your dinner :-)
Poolside sunbathing. I'm the only one who hasn't yet been into the pool.


Swimming in Lake Tahoe - so far just the once, but it was a good long one!
The water in the lake is crystal clear, it is lovely to swim in.
Lucy, Scott and the boys hired a little peddle boat and spent a happy hour arguing and fighting about who wasn't pulling their weight! :-)
Heading up the mountains behind us in a gondola and further up in an open ski lift!!!
I hate heights!!
Electric shocks race through my body and hysteria rises in my chest whenever I'm exposed to them so the ski lift was difficult. I closed my eyes and clenched my teeth till Ian told me we had reached the top and I would have to open my eyes to see where I was stepping off.
Having gone up and with no trail back down, there was no alternative to my getting back on to go down again. But the funniest thing happened. I felt the impulse to sing!! And having started with the wheels on the bus, I gave it laldy... it worked. The pressure in my chest subsided and I made it down without too much distress. Note however, my eyes were still shut!

Check out the gondola behind Ian.

This is Ian at the top, well almost at the top, of the mountain.
Enough. Duty done :-)
Jo xx
No comments:
Post a Comment